Places to visit in Oradea
The Roman-Catholic Bishop Palace
Five minutes from the Central Railway Station of Oradea is the most biggest palace of the city having 100 rooms and 365 windows. This is the Bishop Palace next to the roman-catholic basilica projected in Baroque style by the well-known Austrian architect Franz Anton Hildebrant. The construction had started in 1762 and it finished in 1777. The building has its base-plane in form of a U what delimites an interior yard. Among the visitors of the building were numbered queen Maria Terezia and king II Josif of Austria. The palace also has a chapel of a rare beauty having its ceiling and walls decorated by frescos. In 1948-49 when the Greek communists lost the fight against the king represented a drastic detour in the palace’s life. Among 1000 kids of the Greek partisans were saved and accommodated in the palace. The bishop had to live the building in 4 hours and in the next years the kids destroyed the whole interior of the building. In 1963 as the bishop hadn’t had enough money for the renovation (as their lands were seized) it gave the right of use to the city without giving up the right as owner of the building. Therefore at 17 January 1971 in the Baroque Palace opened the Tarii Crisurilor Museum. In 1996 the church started the legal procedures to regain the palace. The final decision after which that the Catholic Curch got back its right of the building’s use as well as the Tarii Crisurilor Museum has 5 years to find an adequate building to move in was pronounced at 9 July 2004. The museum has a large collection more that 250 000 exhibits presented in 4 permanent sections: history, ethnography, science of nature and arts.
The Ady Memorial museum
The little museum from the Traian Park was founded in 1957 in place of the former Mulleraj all-night resort. In front if the museum there is the statue of Ady Endre. On this base it was situated the bronze “The ascension of Mary” statue before that in the present is placed in the garden of the roman-catholic Olosig church
The Black Eagle Palace
The Black Eagle Palace the one-time hotel was built between 1907-1909 on the base of the old Eagle guesthouse. The ensemble equipped with a glass covered passage making the connection between three streets became the most important realization of the architect couple Marcell Komor and Dezso Jakab. The glass painting with the black eagle the ensemble’s emblem was executed in 1909 in the Oradean Neumann workshop
The construction had begun in 1899 after the plans of the Vienesse firm Fellner and Helmer what planed almost 50 theaters in Europe among others the ones of Timisoara, Cluj and Iasi. The enrepreneurs Kalman Rimanoczy Jr., Jozsef Guttman and Vilmos Rendes realized to finish the building in a record time. At 15 of October 1900 the curtains lefted up. Besides the opening of the theatre that day marked the introducing of electricity in the institution as well what became the first electrified building of the city. In front to the theatre this pearl of the Oradean electricity were raised two allegorical statues.
The City Hall
The huge building was built between 1902-1903 in place of the old building of the roman-catholic bishop after the plans and under the direct guidance of Rimanoczy Kalman. The neo-classic frontispiece is extremely attractive having at its highest floor four allegorical layers and the arms of the city. On the side of the Cris there is the clock-tower high of 50 m the favorite place of the owls. The mechanism of the clock even if it is 100 years old it still functions.
The Apollo Palace
The Apollo palace was built between 1912-1914. Beside its Berliner Jugendstil it has some decorations that remind us the Empire style. This building is the last one built by the famous architect Rimanoczy Kalman Jr. who died at a very young age. In present the ground floor of this building gives place to the Unic store
The Monastery of the Capucin Order
The capucin order came to the environs of Oradea in 1727. The monastery was built between 1734-1742. In 1836 a devastating fire destroyed the monastery and the church as well. The actual shape represents the new monastery built after the fire. The costs of the construction were supported by Lajcsak Ferenc who was the Roman Catholic bishop of Oradea at that time. After his death he was buried in the church. The interior frescos are paintings of Szilagyi Janos and Doboczy Jozsef completed with two paintings which were saved from the fire. The last capucin priest died in 1972. Now the little church has become everybody’s. Here takes place Hungarian, Romanian and German Roman Catholic masses as well. The monastery has a library of 5-6000 volumes dated to 1600-1800 and what were saved in a miraculous way in the years of communism … they were walled in